Sunday, September 5, 2010

Now, What?

First of all, I'd like to say it feels good to be back on my blog. I know it's been quite a while. And I'm just happy that I have something to write about this time. I'll do my best to keep my enthusiasm in blogging. After all, I'm a first-time blogger. So I guess you can forgive me during those times when it seems I'm out to another corner in the universe.
Anyway, I'm happy to say I was one of those who finished the 21k 34th Milo Marathon Cebu Eliminations. It was my first 21k race ever. And it was one heck of an "initiation" for me. I've ran distances close to 21k in my practice runs. But it's really different when you're already experiencing the real thing. I still got the medal although I finished 15 mins. after cut-off time. Organizers, thank you so much for recognizing the runners' hardwork!
But I'm writing this post not so much to relay my experience during the Milo Cebu leg. It's more about sharing the effect of this race on me, not the physical, but the psychoemotional. Yeah. You might think it's starting to get cheesy or melodramatic at this point. But hey, you got to admit that running is more than just a physical activity. So its effects also go beyond the physical level. What exactly am I referring to?
Well, I'm wondering why everytime you finish a major milestone in your life, you seem to pause and think about your life. And this happens without you trying to induce it. In my case, I was so excited about this race even months before its schedule. I focused my efforts in preparing for it. And as the days came nearer to the "big day", my excitement was just hyped up. So the day came, I went through the birth pains of a 1st-time 21k runner, and eventually, I made it. But right now, there seems to be a vacuum inside of me.I feel kinda empty. And I ask myself the enigmatic question, "What now?" And what scares me is that I can't find the answer, or at least I'm not sure what to answer. It feels strange for me. All of a sudden, I'm asking myself what I really want to do with my life. The numerous options before me is just making it more difficult for me to decide.
I know finishing 21k isn't really the most fantastic thing a runner can do. But for someone like me who considered it a major milestone in his life, there's a feeling of emptiness now that I can't explain.
I know this post is getting quite lengthy already. So I'll share the rest of my thoughts on my next post...